Thursday, January 29, 2015

Art: Wire Self-Portraits

First graders are finishing wire self-portraits inspired by Alexander Calder. Students began by looking at the lines in their faces and then completing several one-line drawings of themselves on the iPad and on "art cards". Girls found that they could connect their features in many different ways. This observation came in handy when they were challenged to construct their face using wire. First graders looked at wire portraits by Calder, and brainstormed ways of forming strong attachments in their sculptures. Ask your first grader about the special tools she used. 

Next we read the book "What Do You Do With An Idea?" and discussed how our ideas are an important part of us. Girls shared things that they notice, wonder, and think, then created small abstract additions to their sculptures based on their ideas. Some chose to connect these ideas to their portrait and some chose to leave them as separate sculptures. 

A selection of ideas from first graders:

"I notice people make the world a better place." 
"I notice the sky is gray sometimes."
"I notice you can not get everything you want."

"I wonder what life before us was like."
"I wonder if there are colors we can't see."
"I wonder what it's like to be someone else."

"I think my stuffed animals are alive." 
"I think people should be nicer."
"I think when you grow up some things are harder for you."





No comments:

Post a Comment